Subject: Re: [Leica] An M7 glitch report
From: Paul Chefurka <paul@chefurka.com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 17:12:53 -0400

On Wed, 8 May 2002 15:50:28 -0400, "J. Gilbert Plantinga"
<gilplant@hvc.rr.com> wrote:

>Read the manual, p. 67! That's not a "6" it's a "b" as in BATTERY
>CHECK." Your batteries are about shot, cough up for some new ones, or
>shoot at 1/60 - 1/125. The earlier post about the shutter locking up was
>also NOT A GLITCH. When the camera is set to auto and the meter sees no
>light, such as when winding on the first two frames, the shutter stays
>open for the full 32-second maximum, and the previous poster lacked
>either the nerve or the understanding to simply turn the shutter dial,
>which then trips the shutter.
>
>Why can't people KISS and stop picking on this wonderful new Leica?
>
>Gilbert

Yup, it turn out to be a case of RTFM (Manual?  We don't need no steenkin'
manuals...)  I emailed Keith Matson at Lisle-Kelco who returned a long,
thorough and helpful response.  It turns out that the batteries the camera
ships with should probably be discarded immediately upon purchase.  Mine
were in fact replaced with store-fresh lithiums when I bought the thing,
but Keith recommends putting in silver-oxides instead.  Winkling four
MS76's in and out of that battery compartment might be interesting, though.
It'll be even more like loading a pump Remington.

As far as the camera goes, I couldn't be happier.  No picking on the M7
here - as far as I'm concerned it's the best upgrade they've done since the
introduction of the M6.  It's so good, it's almost a Hexar-killer ;-)

Paul

Message from "J. Gilbert Plantinga" <gilplant@hvc.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] An M7 glitch report)