Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW wk 19/sl
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 08:16:58 -0700

Hi Olivier,

I think there's a bit of misunderstanding in the way Steve used..."spot
meter."

>>This is where the M6ttl spot meter lets me down because the spot meter is
> >reading the bright lights and the gray and shadows just disappear. So for
> >this kind of shot do you think I could sit there for :15 or :30 seconds
> >trying to figure out what I should be reading with the spot meter?
Probably
> >not.<<<<

The M6, ttl or M7 do not have a "true spot meter" as we generally understand
spot meters. But what Steve has referred to is the center weighted reading
from the "white spot" inside the M 6 body on the shutter curtain.

The meter reads the concentrated light on the "shutter white spot" rather
than an integrated reading covering the entire picture area. So in calling
the M6 a spot meter is really a description in-relation to the concentration
of light falling on that little white circle inside the camera.

So if you are taking pictures where there are bright lights in the
background as in this scene, those lights will cause an under exposure due
to their concentration in the centre on the white spot of the shutter.

I hope this answers your question,
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant