Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Photoshop dilemma
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 12:22:50 -0400

The issue isn't journalism - the issue is photography.

When most people look at photographs they believe that they are looking at a
reasonably accurate representation of what, for an instant in time, WAS. The
have this expectation whether they are looking at a photo of your baby, my
dogs, or Peggy's Cove. And they believe they are looking at an accurate
representation of what WAS because they are looking at a photograph.

If, as some of you contend, there is no reason to label grossly manipulated
photographs as some other form of art - such as photo illustrations, photo
montages, what ever - then the basic understanding of photography and
photographs is altered.

And, BTW, Mr. Jennings, if we don't know that you are using Photoshop to
alter the reality of your photos, then how are we to judge your
photography - which is one of the things we do on this list. After all,
anyone who is an accomplished Photoshop craftsperson/artist, can take a
badly flawed photo and turn it into what will appear to be at least a good,
if not excellent, photo.

My feeling is that if one wants to display altered photos - without alerting
the viewer to the fact that they are altered - one should go do it on a
Photoshop list, not on a Leica photography list.

B. D.