Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Photoshop dilemma
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 14:09:57 -0400

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
[mailto:owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us]On Behalf Of Darrell
Jennings
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2002 1:16 PM
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

And I completely disagree....  I am NOT a Photoshop
expert.  In fact I had never scanned a photo before
two weeks ago, and only have Photoshop Elements which
I have very limited expertise with.

That said, I don't limit my view of photography by
expecting that what I see in a photo is exactly what
was there. There are many great photographs that were
enhanced by use of filters and traditional darkroom
techniques. I don't see Photoshop or it's competitors
as different than that, they've just gone another
step. In fact photographers like Jerry Uelsmann have
done very altered realities for many years without
using a computer to do so (check out www.uelsmann.net
for examples).  I still see this kind of work as
photography.

Well then, given that you have been scanning and using Photoshop elements
for two full weeks, and given the fact that you consider a cut and paste
image of lips emerging from a dirt road a "photographs," I guess there's
really nothing I can add to the discussion.;-)

B. D.