Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Photoshop dilemma
From: "\(SonC\) Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 20:50:50 -0500

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2002 7:52 PM

> Actually, there are many people who do not consider Jerry a photographer -
> they consider him an artist who uses photography in creating his
imaginative
> images. Were this not so, Jerry would not have to argue so loudly, as he
> does, that he is a photographer.
>
> And Sonny was NOT putting up that image as his latest photograph - he was
> putting it up to show what neat things he could do with Photoshop - BIG
> difference.
>
> Sonny, are you there?
>
> B. D.

For those who have been trying to follow this thread, and lost the URL of
the picture in discussion, here it is:
http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/photoshop_1.html

(One of my pet peeves on this list is people talking about a picture without
referring to the url)

Yes, I am here, and happy to report that Graham and I have been quite
interested in this collaboration, and the intelligent thread that has
followed.  Photoshop is fun, it is powerful, and can present remarkable
results.

That I have an opportunity everyday to work with it professionally gives me
an advantage, and a slightly different take than most who use it for smaller
tasks than I need.

I did the original artwork kind of as a lark.  I do consider it Photoshop
art, though the donor shots were brilliantly executed by GeeBee.  It is so
much easier to do this work when I have excellent photos to work from.

Graham was reluctant to post this, but we thought it mught engender an
interesting thread, so we collaborated on the links.

Usually, I present my pictures very straight.  I may do a little PS to get
rid of a tiny thing like a surveyor's stake in a field.  I do not consider
that an alteration, anymore than blotting out a zit on a teenager's
portrait.

Interestingly, to me, the issue of combining two shots from the same
location (like this one did) has far less ethical issues than some of the
cover art I see on magazines daily.

I thought the shot of the antique caravan had merit, but it needed people.
Graham's shot  peering into the steam engine is a universal image, but the
background was full of distraction.  They were both shot twenty feet apart.
Why not combine them for a real flavour of the transportation expo?

So, that's what we did.  Illustration? yes. Montage? yes. Would you use it
on a promo for the transport show?  I think Yes. Photograph?  I'm starting
to bend on this one.  After all, my biggest award was a Peabody, not a
Pulitzer, and we all know that that is for entertainment, not Journalism.

Regards,

Sonny
http://www.sonc.com