Subject: Re: [Leica] Weight of Current 75 Summilux
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 08:04:06 -0600

As Ray has pointed out, the optical design has not been officially
changed since 1964. However many feel it has been tweaked over the
years; and that, combined with new coating techniques, means that the
later lenses are better performers.

When the mount was redesigned to have a close focus of 0.7m and a built
in hood, all the glass was redesigned to fit in the mount. The new mount
is much better at holding each element in its proper place and
orientation. They may have tweaked the optical design then as wel,l
though again, not reported.

If I was going to buy a 50/1.4, I would look for the new design with the
built in hood.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Weight of Current 75 Summilux)