Subject: RE: [Leica] Weight of Current 75 Summilux
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 02:29:16 -0700 (PDT)

Sam Krneta wrote:

John,

"All 75/1.4s have the same optical design."

Is this true of the 50 Summilux? I was thinking of getting one that a
fellow lugger has for sale. It is a Wetzlar. Is this the latest optical
formula for the 50? What about coatings?

Hi Sam,

The 50 Summilux-M has not changed (officially) in optical formulation
since about 1964. I have a black anodized "Leitz Wetzlar" 50 Summilux
that was made in about 1973, possibly the same model as the one you're
contemplating. It has a separate rigid slotted lens shade. Closest
focus is 1.0m.

The current 50 'lux can focus down to 0.7m and has a built-in sliding
shade. Apart from that, I understand it's supposed to be the same
optical formulation as the Wetzlar, including coatings, although Leica
sometimes makes unannounced changes during production.

You can read more about the history of the 50mm Summilux-M lens
on-line, in the article "Legendary Leica Lenses: The 50mm f/1.4
Summilux" by Dick Gilcreast in the "Viewfinder" article from Volume 31
No. 3, 1998 at the Leica Historical Society of America,

Hope that helps. Regards,

=====
Ray