Subject: [Leica] Re: Some new TMAX photos taken with the M7
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 16:08:56 -0700

At 2:01 PM -0700 5/15/02, Jim Brick wrote:
>At 11:19 PM 5/15/2002 +0800, RT wrote:
>>Lhttp://www.rtansa.freeservers.com/photo.htmloaded some new pictures taken
>>two weeks ago, all shot with the M7 and Tri-Elmar mostly. I had some time
>>off in Hong KOng while I was there for work, and I was trying out Tmax with
>>Rodinal. Hope you will like it.
>>Thanks and Rgds
>>Roland
>>Singapore
>>http://www.rtansa.freeservers.com/photo.html
>>main page is
>>www.rtansa.freeservers.com
>

>Is it just my imagination, or does TMax record no shadow detail?
>Your other photographs on other films have a great dynamic range.
>These TMax photos seem to be missing all shadow detail. It just goes
>black. It's like the HD curve was nearly vertical with the DMax
>portion starting half way down.
>
>Good photographs... yes.
>Really Sharp.............. yes.
>Full scale......... no.
>
>Jim

That's the main problem with TMax, and to a lesser extent, Delta.
They have no real toe; it just drops off the deep end. Similarly,
they don't have a shoulder like other films; once you overexpose, the
information is gone. This is a slight exaggeration, but neither the
toe nor the shoulder of these films have the gentle roll-off that
similar portions of the Tri-X or HP5 curves do.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com