Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Photoshop dilemma
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 14:04:13 -0700

To Photoshop or not to Photoshop, that is the question. ;-) Or is it, use
reality or not to use to reality? :-)

Guys and Gals,
I've just spent several hours in the good old fashion "dark room" making wet
prints, washing, drying and all that other stuff we do with such reckless
abandon before the mighty photo god   ...... Photoshop descended on planet
earth or whatever.

You know, as much as I enjoy using Photoshop, not for screwing with
pictures, but the ease and convenience of making prints on demand without
all the fuss and muss of the wet darkroom, it's wonderful.

Then once a photo is electronically saved heck I can go back a year later
and knock off a hundred identical prints without batting an eye getting nary
a wet hand.

However, their is an old fashion mystique of doing it real-time with hands
in the trays and watching those wonderful photographs come to life under the
orange dark room lights. Damn I love it!

It's mine coming to life and I don't get that same kind of magical feeling
when I'm electronically tweaking a burn here or there in Photoshop. It seems
cold and just sits there on a screen. Like no giving a life feeling happens
as it prints out.

Maybe I'm just a sentimental old fool, but as much as I'm always in awe of
the electronic print, I just can't set aside the good old fashion darkroom.
It has life and feelings, I suppose so many wonderful memories of seeing
dramatic moments captured on film and then prints coming up in the soup is
tough to cast aside for a "machine!"

OK OK I'll go back to the dark and make prints. ;-)

Hopefully you guys and gals will have this seemingly endless "to Photoshop
or not to Photoshop" debate to an end by the time I'm finished printing. ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> ([Leica] Benjamin [was: Photoshop dilemma])