Subject: [Leica] Developing problem
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 11:19:58 -0800

I've been really busy since early January, and have let rolls of exposed
film pile up in the film drawer until I have time to develop them. Well,
the time has come and I'm making my way through the film, developing a
couple of rolls each day. I began with rolls of Neopan 1600, which as some
of you may recall I had struggled with to find appropriate developing time.
After some experimentation, I had found the following combination produced
consistently good results for me: Xtol 1:2, 68°, 7 mins, light agitation.

So, using the above combo, I've thus far developed 4 rolls from my backlog
of film, two yesterday and two this morning. To my surprise, the negs are
all thin: low contrast and little shadow detail. Since yesterday I used
Xtol from a half-empty bottle and fixer mixed last November, I thought that
might have been the problem, so today I mixed fresh chemicals (new fixer +
Xtol from a full bottle). Same problem.

My guess is that the development time is too short. The Film Developing
Cookbook recommends 10 minutes for Neopan 1600 shot at 1600 in Xtol in a
1:2 dilution, but that gave me really dense negs with overdeveloped
highlights. In my experimenting, I eventually cut the time back to 7
minutes and that worked perfectly. So here I am again with a f****** Neopan
problem!

Tomorrow morning I experiment again, using the 10 minute time to see if
that works. If not, I'm going to switch to a 1:3 dilution (my usual
dilution) and start over.

Oh well.

Guy

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Developing problem)