Subject: Re: [Leica] Asking permission, KISS & the decisive moment
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 07:56:00 -0700

Howard Sanner wrote:
>>This leads to a philosophical question. If you ask permission to
photograph someone, how does that affect the "decisive moment"? Doesn't the
photograph then become, at least to some degree, posed and studied, and, in
equal measure, no longer a "slice of life" (a "less-than-decisive moment")?

Though I'm breaking out the Nomex underwear because I suspect this'll push
plenty of people's buttons, it isn't a troll or flame bait. It is, just what
I said, a philosophical point I've pondered for a while now.<<<

Hi Howard,
Naw forget the flame suit. leave that for Spiderman! :-)

.... as usual, my feelings on this "ask - shoot decisive moment" is quite
KISS simple ;-)

It comes from a style of shooting documentaries for years. Actually the
technique was in action this past few weeks while shooting the medical
profession for a new book. Once permission is established it doesn't mean to
shoot right then, we may on occasion, or an hour later.... in many cases
better later than immediate.

If you ask a person "can I take your picture" and you do immediately
following .... that basically is a form of "word posing" because the chances
are they'll be conscious of your shooting and not likely be the way they
were 30 seconds before you asked.

However...... Asking and receiving permission and shooting the person or
group 20 minutes later they're generally back to their normal coffee
conversation or whatever and " forgotten you."

That is unless your bumbling around taking meter readings in their face and
or your movements are drawing attention to yourself. Then all bets are off
and folks will be back to a semi-posing mentality or awareness of that " GD
photographer." And I don't mean, "good dog" photographer. ;-)

Be cool, quiet and as motion distracting as you can and people will forget
you completely. Then everything becomes "decisive moment" as you haven't
word posed them 10 seconds previously!

Once my permission to roam the operating room floors is granted and the
general medical population know I'm kicking around they don't even think
about me and go about fixing the heart or twiddling the wires in the brain.
They do their thing, I do mine and more often than not I never speak to them
until some hours later.

>>If you ask permission to photograph someone, how does that affect the
"decisive moment"? Doesn't the photograph then become, at least to some
degree, posed and studied, and, in equal measure, no longer a "slice of
life" (a "less-than-decisive moment")?<<<

As I said above...if you ask and shoot immediately I believe you're correct
that it leads to a "posing moment rather than a decisive moment" But ask and
shoot  1-3- or 50 minutes or days later when the subject has forgotten you,
then it can become a decisive moment.

For example, shooting one on one, you and the Prime Mister the only people
in his office. You arrive make a quick assessment of the light, look for a
place to sit using that light inrelation to the lenses you have, then sit
down and don't move around.

Now all you have to do is wait for him to do his thing, staff come and go,
he reads the paper or notes, talks on the phone and all you do is watch for
light, eyes, action and click! A nice quiet M camera.  You never say a word
unless spoken to. Answer quickly and it's over..... do not engage in long
winded conversation, you're not their to be gabby, you are there to take
pictures!!!!

If you wish to move, before you do, know exactly where your going before you
move. When your ready, move quietly and not quickly... quick motion creates
distraction! Move, then sit and watch, you might not take a picture for
twenty minutes because even though the light is right, the eyes and action
aren't!

Sorry this is developing into a 60 minute "how - to dissertation"... so I
better knock it off. I hope you got something out of it.

By the way, the above will work with children, wives and other folks almost
anywhere.  Being quiet and unobtrusive even after permission is granted, the
capturing of decisive moments is a piece of cake! ;-)   Ask Henri. ;-)

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant