Subject: Re: [Leica] Try again
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 06:48:52 -0700

Graham
 wrote & showed:

>>The point about foreground clutter is well made by yourself, Ted
> Grant and other off list comments. So much for my stab at arty framing.
The
> flowers are bluebells and the area is wild woodland which explodes with
> colour and last only briefly. I may get a chance to re-shoot before they
are
> gone, if not here are some others I took.
>
> http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/sywell_02.html
>
> http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/sywell_03.html
>
> http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/sywell_04.html
>
> http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/sywell_05.html<<<<

Hi Graham,
Now your cooking!!!!  :-)  :-)  I'd say no need to return for another go as
you've got it right here. Too bad you didn't post one or the other of a
couple of these. Particularly one of  the two horizontals before the people
got too far to the right.

Your framing in this case was the flowers themselves and it didn't need the
wild forest greenery! :-) My preference is horizontal
>http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/sywell_03.html because the people are about
the right place with a nice touch of colour contrasting the blue.

The only other suggestion with the angle of the sun, I bet a polarizer would
just pop the colours (pop meaning enhance) and enrich the cloud/sky back
ground. Particularly  vertical >
http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/sywell_04.html <<<

The polarizer would've saturated all the colours and the sky nicely.

And finally on this picture, I would've cropped some of the green off the
bottom to almost the edge of the flowers making them the bottom of the
frame. This would've created a look of "never ending field of flowers" you
were standing in rather than standing at the edge looking in.   (Others will
have a different opinion)

Put the picture on the screen and either scroll down to make the crop or
hold your hand or piece of paper to take away the green foreground and it
strengthens the field of flowers while keeping the couple in good balance.

Not having a polarizer isn't life threatening, as a similar "darkening" by
underexposure of 1/2 or full stop would've picked the frame up enough. But
again, this is how I shoot transparency film for tourist type assignments
with a richer saturated appearance.

All in all I bet if you'd posted frame 03 the first time, the general
consensus would've been, "nice PAW and moved on."  ;-)

Thanks for coming back with the others at least it gave us a "Leica
photography subject to engage in."  ;-)

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant