Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and digital photography
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 17:24:07 -0400

Come on, Austin - I'm not going to get in an argument with you, because I
know I can't possibly win ;-)....But....I suppose we're assuming that one
already has a computer...

But let's see, film is how much per roll, assuming one is shooting color
negative - or slide? And processing is how much per roll? And once one goes
digital one presumably never again has to buy film or pay for processing?

I know that I pay about $2 per roll for gray market tri-x, and pay $8 per
roll for processing....so if I shoot 25 rolls, that's $250  per job. Which
means that if I was shooting a job a week, which I'm not, in my first year I
could set up a terrific digital darkroom, with all the redundency one could
possibly want, and enough storage media to carry me for years to come....and
then the next year I could start replacing digital equipment.....all out of
my film and processing money....

Now, if only I can convince myself to sell my Leica equipment to finance the
purchase of the digital equipment.....but so far my digital side hasn't
managed to convince my analogue side...;-)

B. D.