Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica and digital photography
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 08:42:39 -0500

Austin:

>Hum.  Well, what about the cost of storing the digital images (and you do
>need multiple copies BTW)?  They can be burned to CD, and you can get 500 or
>so per CD I'd guess, but you do need to have a computer with a CD
>writer...and that doesn't come free.

I just shot 4 rolls of film (24 exp rolls).  Had 16 pictures that I wanted
to share with the subject.  The film cost about $2 per roll or so.
Developing only was about $10 for all 4 rolls.  Cost so far = $18.  4 CDs to
hold the images.  Kodak Gold at 40 cents apiece = $1.60.  (About 1.2meg
worth of images on 2 cds.  And then duplicated on backups.)  $20 total cost.
He can see them and enjoy them on the web, and he's happy with that.  Prints
aren't of that much use to him.  If you want prints of each of those 16 (but
not all 16 are print worthy), it's about a buck apiece to make 8x10s.  So
$36 with 16 8x10 prints.

Or...if I had prints made, it would have been about $10 per roll + cost of
film = $48.  For 4x6 proofs.

I suppose to be really fair, you'd need to amortize the cost of my scanner.
$500 divided by the total pictures I'll scan in its lifetime.  I use the
computer/cd writer in my profession, and my work paid for most of it,
anyway.  I'd have those costs regardless of photography.

This doesn't even get into my having better control over the color printing
process by shooting film and then scanning.  I'm not set up to do color
processing or printing at home using conventional darkroom methods.

Here are the pictures I'm talking about.  Not very edited, because I figured
he'd enjoy seeing some of the sequences:

http://canid.com/pete_baseball.html

(As always with any images I post, feel free to tell me what a lousy job I
did and how to improve.)

Eric

Message from "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com> (RE: [Leica] Leica and digital photography)