Subject: [Leica] Re: Asking permission, KISS & the decisive moment/Howard
From: pericles <info@pericleslavat.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 09:18:16 -0500

Howard: I think that when you are in a public space (streets, metro station,
etc.) you do not need permission to snap a picture. And if you ask
beforehand, then your subject will behave differently because is aware of
someone taking his/her picture.
But, the main difficulty doing street-photography is that we all carry our
gear but we are not looking, we go from point A to point B because we have
to, and if something strikes our attention then we go for the opportunity
(if we have the time). Rarely we go on a "photographic walk" (at least in
urban landscapes). Rarely we say: today I am going to hang around that
special corner and stay put for a while and see what happens.
Street photo is a matter of patience, lots of it. But sometimes, you go back
home and bring some interesting photos.

- --
Saludos

Pericles