Subject: [Leica] All Leica...and Xtol
From: David Rodgers <davrod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 23:49:47 -0700

Just posted some b/w images I shot last weekend. Group of kids meeting
before HS prom. Shot 3 rolls in about 35 minutes. Of 105 frames 95 turned
out, and 10 didn't. Everything was shot with a 90/2 or 35/2 Summicron. One
roll each of Acros, D400 and HP5+. All developed in Xtol 1:2. Negs scanned
at fairly low res on an Epson flatbed. .

Links are...

http://www.lightcurves.com/prom2002/bw/prom2002bw1.htm (click right arrow
for page 2)
http://www.lightcurves.com/prom2002/bw/panoramics.htm (cropped obviously)

This little exercise convinced me that for b/w film is still way ahead of
digital for capture. No way could I have equaled this with my digital cameras.

Sure digital's less expensive, but not THAT much less. $15 for film. $1.80
to develop. Batch scanning took a couple of hours, but only 15 minutes
actual hands on. And I have NEGS! I printed one image 24X16 on my Epson
3000 with Piezo inks; rescanned on a Leafscan.  Happened to be an HP5+ neg.
Results amazed me!

Dave

BTW, the panoramic format was a crop I did for some video clips. I motion
panned the images using Adobe AfterFX.  Made several 15 sec long avi files
that went into a video yearbook. Better than video tape clips, IMHO. But
I've always favored still images over video. Further, the on-line images
lack technical quality on purpose.

Replies: Reply from David Rodgers <davrod@worldnet.att.net> (Re: [Leica] All Leica...and Xtol)
Message from "daniel" <thedmc@cox.net> ([Leica] xtol times for acros)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> (Re: [Leica] xtol times for acros)