Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:"Cranky and awkward" Screw mounts
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@wm.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 20:42:22 -0400

I can't resist this now drawn-out thread.  I spent among the most
productive (photo. speaking) 18 months of my life--in the
Netherlands--making image with two IIIfs, six lenses (three of which I used
regularly), and a Minolta PROD (a gift).  I exposed 100+ rolls of film, cut
the leaders with a penknife (when I cut them at all), and had no problems
until the original shutter on one of the IIIfs simply died of old
age.  I've since had it replaced.  I used aux viewfinders for the Russar
20/4.5 (which I bought there) and the Canon 35/1.8.  Used the built-in for
the Summicron and Summitar, which I used more or less interchangeably.  I
carried an old Gossen Pilot meter, which worked perfectly.  I exposed
chromes, color neg, and T400CN: blown exposures were my fault.

If you *want* to use an LTM, you'll figure out how to get on with it.  I
used LTMs exclusively for over twenty years--sold my M3 (stupidly) in
College because I had to, and replaced it with the (then) much cheaper
IIIfs.  It never occurred to me that the VF was "squinty" or otherwise
awkward.  I *had* to live with it.  The diopter adjustment on the IIIf
makes it easy to sharpen the rf patch, and I didn't trash my glasses trying
to see through the framing window.

Having said all this, I use Ms now, mainly for the fast lenses.  But a
solid, clean IIIf is a practical, fun small camera--and one can derive a
lot of pleasure from learning how to use it effectively.

Chandos