Subject: RE: [Leica] Canine issue update - good news [very long]
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 22:56:50 -0400

Perhaps.   I guess it depends on the breed.  The American Pit Bull has a
terrible reputation in the press and many people buy the dog based on this
reputation and raise them to be fighters (and actually enter them in
illegal dog fights).  Yet based on talks I've had with people who are
familiar with the breed it actually is supposed to be an excellent family
dog if raised properly.

A friend of mine owns an American Bulldog (similar to but slightly smaller
than a Bull Mastiff) and a Jack Russel terrier (similar to the dog on
"Frasier").  The bulldog is very large, powerful and quite intimidating in
appearance, yet is actually a very friendly, docile dog.  The little
terrier, on the other hand, inspite of its cute looks, is very hyper, and
fully capable of taking a bite out of you if it's in that kind of mood.

Bothe dogs will go nutso when a stranger knocks on her door, but that is
normal with many dogs.  The pizza deliveryman will go home with stories
about the crazy bulldog and how the dog should be banned due to its
aggression, but it is the little terrier that was actually determining his
fate as he waited outside her home.

Many dogs require firm handling and training, but if they receive it from a
young age will end up as friendly, peaceful adults (just like people).

dan c.