Subject: Re: [Leica] Canine issue update - good news [very long]
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 13:03:16 EDT

In a message dated 5/25/02 9:43:12 AM, bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:

<< Re-reading and thinking the original post this a.m., I have to say I really

agree with Austin on this one..;-)...

I, too, am a dog owner/lover and have been all my life. But "stalking

children?"

'Sleepy' time for Rex....

I agree.  And I'm a dog lover as well.

Dog bites/attacks are a significant health issue in the US.  If strange men
were attacking our kids to the same extent Fido is, well let's just say that
it would be the lead story in our news media, and politicians would be
fighting each other to be on the forefront of the issue.

In California, attitudes have changed to a certain extent due to the Diane
Whipple case.  Killing a vicious dog is only one part of the equation though,
 owners that breed, tolerate, encourage an agressive animal deserve
significant attitude adjustment as well.  In my mind, a $100 fine is hardly
significant.

Glad to hear that you and your dog are doing well.  I only hope that as more
and more cases like this come to people's awareness, that we can start to
strengthen laws so that those who aren't responsible dog owners are at least
forced to deal with the realistic consequences of their actions/inactions.

- -kim