Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom in a manufactured home
From: Charles Walden <charlie@highhill.com>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 14:23:10 -0400

Adam

 I would strongly suggest looking into one of the slot type processors (nova
from jobo).  I've used one of these for years and have found it to not only
be a huge space saver, but it also has the advantage of cutting down on
fumes (less surface area of chemicals exposed tot he air), and also I will
frequently setup and leave chemistry in it for several days, which allows me
to print for a couple of hours, do something else and them jump in a print
again, without have to mess with pouring chemicals into trays, cleaning up,
etc.  While I have one of the ones with a water jacket, I've stopped turning
on the heater, since I got the compensating timer from zone IV / calumet.
That device also supports the style of being able to just hop into the
darkroom when I have a few meinutes and still get very consistent results
(not have to wait for the chemicals to come up to temp...)

The only caveat on this type of processor, is that I'm not sure I would
reccommend it if you are going larger than 11x14 - the paper gets a bit
askward to handle.  It may work, I just happen to rarely print that large
and I use trays when I do.

Also some people find the little vampire teeth marks that the clip leaves on
the print objectionable, but I mat prints for display and they never show,
so I don't see it as a problem.

I hope this helps - it has worked for me - my poorly composed and out of
focus negatives are *really* well printed.  ;)

charlie