Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom in a manufactured home
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 18:37:55 -0700

Charles Walden wrote:

> I'll second all of the following, but (with a smile) will add that if us old
> chemical-laden wet darkroom junkies don't get new people to continue buying
> the equipment / supplies, we'll find ourselves building jobos out of parts
> from edmund scientific, grinding oak galls for pyro and coating our own
> paper.
>
> but seriously, habit is strong force - I worked hard to figure out how to
> make decent prints in a darkroom.  I would frankly rather spend the time
> shooting, developing and printing  than climbing up a new learning curve.
> even though in a few years it may become inevitable...
>
> charlie.

The way I see it Inkjetting is a phenomenon that is getting thousands of
new people printmaking - a higher level of photography-  every day.
A higher level than picking up their 4x6's at the drugstore or minilab.
A little more involvement with these letter sized prints I'd say!

So if one out of a thousand of these inkjetters one day says "What's
real darkroom printing all about" then we'll be having a darkroom boom -
not the opposite.
Are the camera store filled with cheap used enlargers and used trays
because of all these people gone inkjet?

If so then i think it works the other way too. The inkjetters go darkroom.

And then there is the issue of the overlap.

Digital and darkroom techniques overlap now. So you have to have both.
For instance FineArt Platinum prints are being done now with digital beginnings.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from Charles Walden <charlie@highhill.com> (Re: [Leica] Darkroom in a manufactured home)