Subject: Re: [Leica] Memorial Day shots
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 07:57:15 -0700

John David Emmett's Memorial Day tribute. >
http://www.jdemmett.com/html/Photojournalismfront.html

B. D. wrote:

>>> BTW - If you want to try something interesting - in Photoshop convert
your
> images to grayscale, adjust the contrast, and then see what you've got. My
> guess is that some of those shots will be allot more powerful that way.<<<

B.D.
I agree with you as these photographs converted to B&W would be mind blowers
of emotion. As solid a group of pictures in colour as they are, removing the
colour illustrates the "power of B&W" for the viewer to "feel their own
emotions " to a greater extent with the soul of the picture revealed without
distracting colour.

I think it works two ways:
These are very tender moments but become "tender powerful moments" without
colour, as who cares what the colours are as the content is the impact! And
some of the situations we know the colour without seeing it in colour. And
B&W creates a strong picture one can feel the tender moments far more.

As I believe:
"When we photograph people in colour we photograph their clothes. But when
we photograph people in B&W we photograph their souls."  One might say, "the
inner meaning of the photograph"  And that's exactly what happens here in
B&W, as it reveals a much greater emotional photograph without the
distraction of colour.

The bottomline is, they are a very revealing group of photographs whether in
colour or B&W. I find they illustrate a great deal of how respectful
American's are of their fallen comrades, but in B&W it would carry a
stronger message.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant