Subject: Re: [Leica] Dear Doctor Blacktape,
From: John Straus <Mail@SlideOne.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 15:36:01 -0500

on 5/31/02 2:20 PM, John Collier at jbcollier@shaw.ca wrote:

> How can you take photographs and still keep your camera in new
> condition. Just taking the baseplate off and on will cause some brass to
> appear at the bottom of the camera housing. Working the wind lever
> plastic tip will leave polish the black chrome a bit. The strap will
> polish the black protectors. There is nothing, nada, not a mark anywhere.

Ok, I can see you are a novice to using a camera and keeping it looking
"New". Here are some tips:

1) Coat the entire camera body with Band-Aid brand clear spray bandage. This
will keep all fingerprints off the body and give you a protective barrier
against the elements.

2) Always wear cotton cloves when shooting for added protection

3) You must remove the baseplate very carefully never allowing more "rub" on
any one surface.

4) Before loading film make sure to coat all the metal canister surfaces
with felt as to not scratch the inside of the chamber and ONLY LOAD YOUR
FILM IN THE DARKROOM or CHANGING BAG!!! This is very important! See Below...

5) NEVER use the winding lever!!! This is where most novices mess up. In
step 3 when loading your film do not pull the leader out until your in
complete darkness. Carefully pull enough film out of the cartridge so you
can place it around the "take up spool" not thru the slots!! Now replace the
baseplate.

6) Shoot ONE exposure, Rewind film, go into darkroom unload film, load new
roll as in step 5.

Note: Loading and making exposures in this method will solve a few issues
many Leica "Shooters" have. You will never need to wind causing marks to be
left on the body, Far less wear and tear on the equipment, you will NEVER
misload your M and not be able to advance film...because you will never need
to advance!!! Wonderfull isn't it!!! If you really want to be protective do
not use the rewind on the camera and wind the film back on the spool after
removing it from the camera.

7) When shooting outdoors make sure it isn't raining, snowing, sunny (it
could fade your black camera parts), to humid, too dry, or windy (even
slight breezes can cause dust to attack your body & Lenses!!! But if you
protected it with the spray bandage you should be ok.

I could list more but you can learn as you go..

> Is there another use for Leica M cameras that I am not aware of?
> Something that has nothing to do with photograph but more on the lines
> of fetish? I mean am I missing out on something here?

Yeah, a paperweight.

And to all you peeps who don't know. I'm in a NUTTY mood today and have left
the emoticons off my previous replies so I'll make up for it here   :O :D ;)

I don't even know why you started to reply to me anyway? Normally you never
do?

- --
John Straus
Chicago, IL