Subject: [Leica] Dear Doctor Blacktape,
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 13:20:08 -0600

Well I decided to take advantage of the fact there are many used newish
M cameras about. Everyone trading in their P&J for a new M7 I guess. I
wanted an 0.58x and I bought a used officially imported one from Rich at
Photovillage (thank you Rich!) and the camera arrived in new condition.
I mean it: new condition.

I do not understand.

How can you take photographs and still keep your camera in new
condition. Just taking the baseplate off and on will cause some brass to
appear at the bottom of the camera housing. Working the wind lever
plastic tip will leave polish the black chrome a bit. The strap will
polish the black protectors. There is nothing, nada, not a mark anywhere.

Is there another use for Leica M cameras that I am not aware of?
Something that has nothing to do with photograph but more on the lines
of fetish? I mean am I missing out on something here?

Puzzled in Edmonton

PS: I took the baseplate off and loaded some film and it no longer looks
new. I may even put a lens on it later but I do not want to rush things.