Subject: Re: [Leica] exposure advice?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 16:56:43 -0700

Steve Barbour wrote:

> I will be shooting in Alaska soon with an R8.... wondering about best way
of handling
> exposure/exposure compensation where there may be a lot of sun  and
clouds...and
> especially    ...ice and snow...conditions foreign to me.
> Do I compensate,  or can I use the P program/ and matrix metering?    I
have very
> little experience under these conditions,  and  I would appreciate any
helpful
> >advice.....thanks. Steve<<<

Hi Steve,
I see some have mentioned using an incident meter, that's good advice,
just take a reading set camera and shoot.

However, you're using an R8 and if you have the motor then just set to auto
bracket and let the camera do it's own thing. And if your in full sunshine,
wild blue wall to wall skies along with brilliant snow conditions I'd
compensate  for a 1 1/2 to 2 stop over exposure. otherwise you'll more than
likely loose some.

I haven't used the R8 in bright snow yet, but every kind of other light
conditions
and on sandy beaches the meter has always been set to the ASA of the film
using the center weighted meter setting with slide film. But the motor
bracketing method is fool proof.

I'd keep it as simple as possible because if you start screwing around spot
metering on this that or the other, manual on some and not on other, or any
other combinations you're surely going to screw-up a bunch..

Another point is if you know your going to be shooting in bright snow
conditions and using slide film, if it were me going to those conditions I'd
use KODAK 100S so the snow doesn't take on a very tiny magenta cast as it
does with Kodak 100sw. Of course you may not use Kodak film and if so,
disregard the comment. ;-)

I trust this is of some help, but in general I'd be shooing as the R8 meters
for and don't play around unless the exposure looks like it's way out of
line. Just keep a hand incident meter handy for a kind of quick reference.

Have a great trip and success with wonderful Alaska photographs. :-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant