Subject: RE: [Leica] C-41 film for better quality?
From: "Mitch Zeissler" <zeissler@directvinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 22:07:32 -0400

Don...

Hmmm...  Let me count the reasons:

- - Shadow details.  If you are using any of the Leica glass that can record
shadow details the a high degree [the Noctilux is a biggy], then C-41 is the
way to go.

- - Phenomenal lack of grain with the slower emulsions, delivering the ability
to have enormous enlargements.

- - More realistic color with the neutral C-41 versions than with chromes
[Portra 160 NC is my *favorite* emulsion].  C-41 can record delicate color
shifts *much* better than chromes.

- - Speed of processing, if that is important to you.

- - Once you worked for a long period with C-41 and your scanned results,
chromes typically look garish and extremely lacking in density range.

I could list many others.

/Mitch
Mitch Zeissler
  E-mail: zeissler@directvinternet.com