Subject: Re: [Leica] Gree Leafe, late summer
From: Chandos <cmbrow@wm.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 14:11:44 -0400

Thanks for the comments, Ted, BD, and Michael:

Actually Ted, what went through my mind after studying this scene for about
half an hour is that there isn't a film in the world that could handle the
contrast range (or at least no film that I know how to use) present in the
scene, that, if I exposed for the shadows, then the 'bride' (she's actually
a sorority girl dressed up for some event--not a wedding) would burn beyond
recognition, and that if I had a fill flash (and knew how to use it), then
I could set it off in the poor bugger at the bar's face, thereby utterly
destroying the shot and the mood--but it would've been a more 'balanced'
exposure.

I take the points about a vertical crop.  I exposed a sequence of six
frames, one of which was vertical--it looked too static and 'backy' too me
(I may have coined "backy" here--as in "no eye contact").  I had my normal
walk-about M4-P with 28/1.9 mounted on it--and got pretty much what I
previsualised--for all its weaknesses or strengths.

If anyone has technical suggestions regarding alternate films (T400CN here)
or exposure techniques that might have worked here, then I'm all ears.  I
very much want to perfect a technique for working in this sort of light.

Chandos