Subject: Re: [Leica] new user
From: "Victor Wek" <photvictor@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 16:07:20 +0000

Welcome Tom,
I had similar issue few years ago. Because I could afford I bought Leica M6
and 35/2 at the beginning. I will strongly recommend Leica gear over Cosina.
Cosina lenses are very close to Leica lenses in pure power, but lenses have
more properties then scientific measurements, i.e. color gradation. If you
on budget you can buy excellent 50/2 DR lens and used M camera. Especially
now the M6 (used like new) prices are lower after M7 was introduced.
M6 meter is fine, and I do not have to carry additional light metter.

To visualize the entire 35mm frame M6 0.72 is OK (I wear glasses too), but
M6 0.58 will be better; especially you like to use standard and wide lenses.
I also saw another solution for 35mm frame, it is a separate viewfinder.
Leica has the best, it will give you natural size  picture and you can look
with two eyes open and frame will naturally snap the picture from the area
you look at. (A tip from JohnC)

I do not see any advantage of using B&W when you go digital. Color negative
is better; you can always print B&W from it. Color development is cheap in
the local grocery store, and you do not have to mess with chemistry at all.

Your first attempt with 15mm is great, especially the situation. I will try
to put thick water pipe more to the right. That super wide angle creates
some empty space on the right side IMO.  This is not an issue here, because
of timing, but to fully see 15mm range when you look trough the separate
finder, move eye to the left to see what your lens will see on the right
side and then do the same in opposite direction.
15mm is my only Cosina lens because Leica M does not have one.

Victor