Subject: [Leica] Re: filters
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 23:09:45 -0400

Mark Rabiner wrote:

>I don't know... what about results..?. Got any shots uploaded? Website?
>Lets see those shots taken in rough conditions with no lens shade and
>but with UV filters. I've gotta say it doesn't add up.
>
>The folks i know who shoot for a living don't coddle their cameras. And
>don't use useless UV filters but certainly mainly use lens shades.

Nah, no website, no idea what uploading really means either.  Too afraid of
unauthorized reproduction -- which has already happened here -- beats me how this
Italian website got this slice of my photo:

http://www22.mondadori.com/panorama/archivio/14_05_1999/area_2/2224_1.html

So all I have is a bunch of photos published in at least 15 different newspapers and
magazines in, I guess 5-6 different countries, plus more in numerous books etc.

These are on newspaper websites, for ex., unfortunately just b&w versions of colour
originals:

http://www.canada.com/montreal/montrealgazette/archives/story.asp

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=64828&contrassID=2&subCont
rassID=16&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=Y

Then there was that slide show I gave as guest speaker at the LHSA 1997 annual
meeting in Charlotte. N.C. I thought you were there? But e-mail me your postal
address and I'll be happy to send along some published colour work from the Arctic
and the Arabian deserts, Mark, filtered and unhooded and flare-free.

The other point about coddling vs. smashing and bashing: I've always put those
photogs who point to their abused professional tools as a mark of achievement  in the
same camp as those writers who wear their alcoholism as a sign of literary arrival.
Your neighbourhood auto mechanic and your favourite dentist know better.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: filters)