Subject: [Leica] for your eyes only: dialup
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 18:18:24 +0200

Nathan,

provided you can access the satellite from where you live, how will
the gnomes of Zürich know that you are doing T-DSL by satellite and
not just watching satellite TV?
All you need is a German billing address for Deutche Telecom (and
that can be arranged) and you will be a high speed surfer

As ever,
Chris

>Chris,
>
>T-DSL would be lovely, but I am sure that it is not as simple as that, even if
>the geography permits it--there are licensing requirements, and the Swiss
>regulators seem to be squarely on Swisscom's side when it comes to local loop
>competition. Remember that Switzerland is not in the EU and hence
>not obliged to
>liberalise its telecoms market unless it wants to. I live on the
>lakeside road,
>and because all the houses on our street are connected with
>in-the-air telephone
>lines we cannot get DSL--Swisscom says that only underground wires can be
>sufficiently shielded. And we have no cable TV either on our street.
>So ISDN is
>the best I can do.
>
>Nathan
>
>Christer Almqvist wrote:
>
>>  Hi Nathan,
>>
>>  Deutsche Telecom had an advert in the papers yesterday saying that
>>  they now have 2.4 million broadband subscribers and that they cover
>>  most of the country. The whole country will soon be covered as they
>>  now start "T-DSL by satellite". You should be able to access that
>>  service from Zürich, or are you on the wrong side of the hill? To wet
>>  your appetite: speed is 1.5 Mbit per second.
>>
>>  Then you can look at my new website!  (URL at the bottom of this page.)
>>
>>  Chris
>
>--
>Nathan Wajsman
>Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland