Subject: Re: [Leica] Buying New Leica Intl. Versus USA Designated Lenses
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 09:18:33 -0700 (PDT)

Peter there is probably a lot on this in the archives.
 That said, functionally the lens is the same.  The
Intl. model does not qualify for U.S. rebates or the
U.S. only "Passport" warranty. It does qualify for the
International warranty (assuming it comes with an
international warranty card)...meaning you pay to
FedEx it to Germany to get it repaired while it is
under warranty.

I've seen very few lenses on Leica M's that had to be
reapired in warranty, so I would be surpirsed if the R
lenses were different. I'd say save the $1000.  The
likelyhood of it costing you that much due to a
difference in warranty is remote.