Subject: Re: [Leica] Before the recent hiatus, someone...
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:09:05 -0700

"B. D. Colen" wrote:

> ...I believe Eric, asked about the process used to produce what I said were
> shockingly good huge - 26x26 in some cases - prints for my upcoming SF
> exhibit...
>
> Turns out they were done with something called a Lambda Durst, which, I
> gather, is basically a lightjet...it takes a digital scan - in my case 4000
> dpi, with all the photoshop work done...and then exposes that image on
> silver photo paper, which is developed in the "normal" manner.....really
> amazing results...perhaps a tad flat for my taste, but given the size, and
> given the awful digital prints I've seen in this size range, I can live with
> a bit flat.
>
> B. D.

BD I've noticed that very large prints have a way of wanting to be
flatter. Or certainly ending up being flatter.
It's probably a combination of reasons, optical, and chemical.
And sometimes i think they make the bigger paper differently.
As funny as that sounds it actually IS true for sure with color negative paper.
It's quite a bit faster for one.
Although I've seen plenty of large prints with plenty of punch; deep
rich blacks; I've gotten quite used to seeing them printed quite a bit
flatter than an 11x14.
... and have kind of gotten used to it. It's a kind of norm.

In a way when these shadow areas become large enough to pear into then
we want them to be a bit lighter so we can see what's crawling around in there.
That's one justification for it!

Can you ask them to reprint a few of them with more punch? Show them
example prints from the smaller ones you made before?

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com