Subject: Re: [Leica] Creative Excuses
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:18:57 -0700

"Beddoe, Neil" wrote:

> I got into a bit of a hot spot last weekend.  My wife asked me why I spent a
> couple of hundred quid on a light meter when all my cameras have perfectly
> good ones built in and the best I could come up with was "it was a bargain".
> In order to avoid such awkward moments in the future, I intend to keep a
> book of excuses for buying lenses, cameras etc.  Please could LUG members be
> kind enough to furnish me with a few suggestions.
>
> Yours eagerly
>
> Neil

Say "give me a week and I'll tell you."
A week using a light meter will tell you first hand all it's advantages.
And when you shoot with your camera on a tripod these advantages before amplified.
Better lower light readings is another one. The camera stays still on
the tripod while you rove around with the meter in hand.
And being able to work faster. That's right faster.
Many of us have reported this. We develop a sensitively for the light in
a situation... and become free to shoot,
it is quite freeing and uplifting.
And the ability to check the light with an ambient reading makes some
situations easier to deal with.

So if your store will take stuff back in a week then you're covered.

Any piece of eqimpment should be able to justify itself with a week of
use.  Or bring it back.
It's you that needs to know the validity of a piece of gear.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com