Subject: [Leica] Intro to List (was Digital Capture - Full Circle Back To Film)
From: "Thomas Mitchell" <thomasmitchell1@qwest.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:02:39 -0700

Hello all,

I just recently signed on the list and have been enjoying looking the posts
and photographs although the high quality makes me a bit self-conscious
about my own efforts.  However, Leonard's post was apropos to my
subscription so I thought I'd jump in...

I had access to nice film cameras (dear old Mom is a serious amateur
photographer) and was always interested in photography  but other than P&S
snapshots, never really got involved until several years back when I got a
digital camera, a big clunky Mavica.  Since then we've 'upgraded' several
times, the last being a Coolpix 995.  Similar to Leonard, the previous
versions were passed to the kids.  Currently, the only one that sees any use
is a Canon S300 as it's so very tiny that my wife can keep it in her purse.
Also, it has a nice waterproof housing so I can take it kayaking and surfing
and not worry about water, sand, etc.

I work in the software industry so digital seemed a natural choice for me
but left me somewhat unfulfilled - hard to explain in person, much less
ASCII.  So what I did was borrow one of my mother's SLRs (F100) and take a
photography class at a local college.  In the total manual photography
required by the class and studying street photographers (instructor's bias),
I found what I was looking for.  Since then I acquired a Leica outfit: M6,
24/2.8, 90/2.8, Tri-El and have a 35/1.4 on the way.  Using the M6 has been
much more rewarding for me than the digital cameras.  Both my family
snapshots and my admittedly feeble artistic efforts have never been better.
I look forward to the day when a digital camera can match the ergonomic feel
of the Leica and the resolution of film but for the next few years I'm
awfully excited about using the M6 as my primary tool.

As an aside, the instructor of my class identified the above chain of events
as a mini-trend for him.  People buy P&S digital cameras, take more pictures
and get interested in photography.  They then take a photography class to
really learn what's going on with camera operation, exposure, etc.

I'll try to scan and post a couple images for review and criticism soon.

Best Regards,

Thomas Mitchell