Subject: Re: [Leica] Next Logical Telephoto Lens After 180mm
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 22:42:46 -0700

Peter Natscher asked:

>>> I suppose this telephoto lens you're talking about is non-ROM? How does
a non-> ROM telephoto lens work on a R8? How will I be able to spot meter on
my R8 if this telephoto has no ROM readings showing up in my viewfinder's
LED display?<

Hi Peter,
Don't worry about not having ROM contacts it's as simple as, put the lens on
spot or not and the meter will read perfectly!   The ROM thing isn't all
what people think it is as far as my experience goes and I've used R8's
several since they arrived in the world back in '96 and I never think about
whether there's a ROM lens on or not. I just put the lens on shoot away and
the slides or negs come out beautifully!

If one is using  the 400 6.8 there aren't any ROM contacts with that lens
and it works fine with perfect exposures whether it's the spot metering,
intregal or matrix.

So if you find the tele of your choice for a great price go for it quickly
and don't worry the lack of the ROM contacts. In a general sense all the ROM
contacts do is work with fiddling a zoom flash head or some such nonsense.
;-) And as far as making a super major adjustment for exposure or meter
operation all it means is...NADA! Nothing!

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Message from Jim Hemenway <jim@hemenway.com> (Re: [Leica] Next Logical Telephoto Lens After 180mm)