Subject: Re: [Leica] Next Logical Telephoto Lens After 180mm
From: Jim Hemenway <jim@hemenway.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 10:20:18 -0400

Hi Peter:

All of my 3 cam lenses used on my R8, with the exception of one I got in
a trade, are non-ROM.

Everything that I've read about the ROM lenses indicates that all you
get with ROM is the ability to use zoom lenses better with zoom flashes.
The ROM tells the camera something about the focal length currently in
use. I don't see how this will help your landscape images.

My non-ROM lenses have never kept me from using spot metering.

AND, my non-ROM lenses can also be used with my Leicaflex SL.

For me, ROM lenses are a waste of money... so I seek MUCH less
expensive, mint, used non-ROMs, when adding lenses to my R8 bag.

See Andrew Nemeng's information on ROMs here:
http://nemeng.com/leica/001c.shtml

Did you get my message regarding the Telyt-R 350mm currently on ebay?
Check the LUG archives, I remember that Jim Brick had some good things
to write about this lens.

A 2X is also a useful idea as you can use it on other lenses, although
the effective aperture is a lot less than having a dedicated
telephoto... but which you might not use very often.

For your landscape use, it might also be worthwhile to investigate just
how much a telephoto will "flatten" your images.  You might get better
images by getting closer to your subjects.

- --
Jim - http://www.hemenway.com

Jim,

I suppose this telephoto lens you're talking about is non-ROM? How does
a non-ROM
telephoto lens work on a R8? How will I be able to spot meter on my R8
if this telephoto has no ROM readings showing up in my viewfinder's LED
display?

Peter

Message from Jim Hemenway <jim@hemenway.com> (Re: [Leica] Next Logical Telephoto Lens After 180mm)
Message from Peter Natscher <peter@natscher.com> (Re: [Leica] Next Logical Telephoto Lens After 180mm)