Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom folk-a print washing question?
From: Henry Ambrose <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 19:03:22 -0500

I have a problem getting a thorough wash of Ilford RC MG IV paper. I
noticed upon shuffling through a stack of prints that the prints have an
odor similar to fix and kind of sweet smelling. Not good! I've tested
with HT-2 silver nitrate and it indicates a level slightly less than the
number 1 patch sample. I think it should show no stain at all for RC
paper. My fiber prints show no stain. When printing I use the Ilford fast
fix method, only 30-45 seconds timed in the film strength fix then on to
a tray washer with running water for at least 5 minutes (sometimes
longer). As an experiment I rewashed several prints from the batch that
gave the slight stain when tested, giving 10 minutes in a sodium sulfite
bath as hypo clear, then 30 minutes in my archival print washer, they
still smell and the HT-2 test shows the same slight stain. If RC paper
won't wash using this method what will do the job? Hypo Eliminator -
which many caution against? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Henry Ambrose

Replies: Reply from "Christopher Williams" <LeicaChris@worldnet.att.net> (Re: [Leica] Darkroom folk-a print washing question?)