Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh (sp?) rant - hot to handle!
From: Matthew Powell <mlpowell@directvinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 15:21:46 -0500

On Tuesday, June 18, 2002, at 02:55 PM, Austin Franklin wrote:
>> There images consist of a smallish sharp subject and the larger rest of
>> the area is out of focus.
>> Most of the area of the image is out of focus. This area serves to set
>> up the subject.
>> If its clumpy and bunchy then who the heck wants that?
>> If it's smooth and creamy then so much the better. I'm all for it.
>> Is it possible to ignore this stuff?. I cant see how.
>> Sure the biggest thing is the subject. Getting the shot.
>> But the way everything else looks comes in a close second.
>> Figure/Ground.

What do you figure the percentage of "published images" or sold prints
is, Leica vs. everything else?

While the bokeh of a mirror lens may be awful, not that many fine art
photographers or pros are using them. The bokeh of a Canon/Nikon/etc.
prime/upper-level zoom may not be as peanut-butter creamy as a Leica,
but it's certainly serviceable.

I still can't think of an image that was "made" because of its bokeh,
and I've never seen an image that was rendered useless because of its
bokeh.

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Bokeh (sp?) rant - hot to handle!)