Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh (sp?) rant - hot to handle!
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 22:57:42 +0200

Matthew,

I got rid of a lens (Voigtländer/Cosina 50mm Nokton) because of its harsh
bokeh. As Mark Rabiner pointed out, when you shoot wide open (presumably the
reason for buying fast lenses in the first place), then the out-of-focus area
is the majority of the image. And if the way the lens renders this
out-of-focus area is harsh and unpleasant, then it detracts from the main,
in-focus element of the composition. In that sense, bokeh is indeed an
important consideration for some of us. Of course it is more important that
the in-focus area is nice and sharp, but that is something we can take for
granted with modern Leica lenses.

Nathan