Subject: Re: [Leica] re- What Neutral Density filter should I get?
From: alex olstein <alexolstein@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 17:54:20 -0700

OK Tom,

If you have a SCA-3520 adapter and a Metz  high speed synchronization flash
you have life easy.  You can flash up to 1/1000.  As an example.  If you
load up with iso100 and the exposure outside would be  1/1000 at f4 then a
4x filter would make it f2, or a 8x would be 1/500 at f2 also.   So I would
try a 8x filter to start.

Now if you are like me ( old M2 and everything else is old but working.) and
do not have a high speed flash.  You are limited to 1/50 flash synch.  OK
At the same iso 100 the  exposure 1/50 would be f16.  You would have to
stack two 8x filters to use 1/50 at f2.  So do it.  Some of the list members
will scream about loss of sharpness with two filters,  but see how it works.
Sometimes we lose sight of  the picture,  I think filters are cheapest
accessory besides a tripod that everyone should have.   You might also stack
a polarizer and a 8x and see how that works.

Alex