Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicas in Spy Game
From: "jan schuller" <janschuller@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:18:41 +0200

Yeah, saw that movie. Also noticed that Pitt was carrying a quite impressive
collection of cameras around and - of course - the slr-sound of his Leicas.
I think that mortals just expect to sound cameras like this.
To me, more interesting was the way, Pitt's character took pictures - since
at the same same time I saw the documentary about James Nachtwey (the "WAR
PHOTOGRAPHER").
Pitt's character ran from one shelter to the next, while he - then and when
- - raised his camera and pushed the shutter button - obviously without
properly watching the scene beforehand.
Nachtwey on the other hand impressed me with his calm and analytic behavior
in almost every situation. Through the little video-cameras mounted on
Nachtweys camera one could get a glimpse of the way he's working, how he
analyses every situation in a way that reminded me of a surgeon.
Comparing Pitt's character in a spy movie to a 'real' photographer may be
improper. However, its an interesting contrast - the stereotype of a
photographer, who uses a camera rather like a shotgun and shows some
'action' vs. the real one that stays calm and concentrated while there is
quite some 'action' around.

Regards
Jan

>From: Michael Gerard <geeman1066@earthlink.net>
>To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>Subject: [Leica] Leicas in Spy Game
>Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:02:56 -0500
>
>Just saw "Spy Game" last night and drove my wife crazy by using
>slow motion repeatedly to try to figure out what kind of Leica RF
>is used by Brad Pitt's character in the movie.  It looked to me
>like an M4, but it also appeared that he used a black paint  M6
>in another scene.  Anybody else seen the movie?  I also noted
>that the sound of the camera in the movie must be recorded
>over--it is distinctly un-Leica RF in nature, way too noisy.
>Gotta be an SLR.  My wife thinks I'm a lunatic.  I think she may
>have a point.
>My apologies for those PAWers whose shots I have missed over the
>past few weeks.  We've been travelling--hopefully for the last
>time in a long time, and I've gotten far behind.  Rather than
>trying to catch up, I'm just going to start fresh.  That way,
>I'll get pleasantly surprised with great shots on some of your
>web pages that I haven't seen before.  I'll also be catching up
>on my PAWs, as I'm a few weeks behind.  Putting together a family
>reunion photo album for my dad for father's day was pretty
>all-consuming.
>Regards,
>Michael Gerard
>geeman1066@earthlink.net