Subject: Re: [Leica] Developing Tech Pan film with all of the shadow detail lost.
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 18:37:06 +0200

Alfie,

I am not sure Tech Pan and Rodinal is what you really want to use.
Sure, TP will give you lots of contrast, but then do not use highly
diluted Rodinal. High dilution gives low contrast with TP. TP gives
you fine grain, but also a smooth look that you probably do not want.
Easier and cheaper high contrast and loss of shadow details is to
underexpose and overdevelop any film in any developer.

If you want sharp edges, try Delta 100  in Rodinal 1+50 with 1 gram
of Na- ascorbate per film and use the 1+25 times found in development
charts as the Na-ascorbate offsets the higher dilution.

Chris

...and look at my webpage (address below)

>Hi Leica folks,
>
>I'm interested in shooting Tech Pan film with the intent purpose of
>developing with total loss of shadow details and hard-edges being
>prominent. The effect I'm looking for is similar to the movie poster
>for CQ at:
>http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1804536445&intl=us .
>The client is interested in having a retro look.
>
>Photoshop is nice but I don't have access to it. I presume that I
>can get this look developing Tech Pan in T-Max developer or Rodinal?
>
>Cool beans, Alfie

- --
Christer Almqvist
D 20255 Hamburg and / or