Subject: Re: [Leica] Bucharest StreetKid Project website is up
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 22:00:49 -0700

Scott;
I meandered over your images. Frankly, I could only cringe the more I
looked at them. You have got to work on your_composition_. You got the
access, use it. You're doing a dis-service to the photographed by
allowing them to interfere with your work. Sit down, and rethink your
basic approach. Work on_your_visual syntax. If you don't, the essay
won't hold up. Therefore, start at the most basic level, your_composition.
Lastly, do something about your lighting. It just doesn't_read_what you
want it to say. Look at it this way, in Chinese writing there are three
styles, two need concern us here. The regular style, which is
traditional and formal, and the "running style" which is looser and the
lines appear free flowing. Both require an adherence to a syntax that
the reader can easily grasp, hence getting to the message effortlessly
and intuitively. In other words, regardless of presentation, they have
an immediate clarity.
You need to unburden the viewer with the wasted stroke that clouds your
presentation. Virtually each image tells me of a missed visual
opportunity. I shouldn't have to see that, as it bogs me down while
viewing the moment's near misses.
There are no short cuts to getting where you think you want to be. Bend,
crawl, stoop, but do anything that it takes. As they say in Hollywood,
"I'm right behind you."
Slobodan Dimitrov