Subject: [Leica] RE: Vibrations with camera gear
From: "Zeissler, Mitch" <mzeissle@gannett.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:00:58 -0400

All...

The same can be said for *any* transport that involves a lot of vibration without isolating the camera gear from it.

I took my IIIf and M3 with me via overseas air travel a couple years ago to Vienna without taking care to properly pack the bodies in shock absorbing material.  The end result for the IIIf was a trip to Sherry to repair the self-timer and some other stuff that had vibrated loose; the M3 came out fine.  Sherry suggested in the future the bodies be packed in bubble wrap or foam "peanuts" when transporting them over long distances, or, as John suggests, keeping it on your person.  I also had a tripod that I kept over the better part of a year in the rear of my minivan, until it fell apart in my hands one time when I was attempting to use it; the bolts had loosened from the vehicle vibrations.

These days I keep everything isolated from vibrations as much as I can, and I don't keep the gear in the van for extended periods.

/Mitch Zeissler