Subject: Re: [Leica] pH, activities, etc.
From: "Michael Gardner" <mlgardner99@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 21:28:28 -0400

OK, I'm going with Edward on this one.  He explained it better than my
university chemistry professor. :-)

  Not that I understand the whole explanation but I'll just keep on using
that Kodak Indicator Stop Bath as long they keep making it.  It's worked
just fine for me for years.

Mike Gardner

Assuming a base is a proton
> acceptor, and an acid a proton donor (let's leave multi-protic compounds
out
> of it) pH is actually the - Log{H+} or the 'activity co-efficient of a
given
> solution x [H+] = {H+}. There are also STRONG acids and WEAK acids -
strong
> acids (dissociate completely in solution)  THERE the {H+) = [H+] so pH IS
(snipped)