Subject: [Leica] pH, activities, etc.
From: Edward Caliguri <caliguri@ma.ultranet.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:26:55 -0400

- -- Ok William -
    I was just trying to be simple, OK? Assuming a base is a proton
acceptor, and an acid a proton donor (let's leave multi-protic compounds out
of it) pH is actually the - Log{H+} or the 'activity co-efficient of a given
solution x [H+] = {H+}. There are also STRONG acids and WEAK acids - strong
acids (dissociate completely in solution)  THERE the {H+) = [H+] so pH IS
directly proportional to hydrogen (or hydronium ion, H3O+) concentration
Example -- a 0.01M HF (hydrofluoric acid is a STRONG acid, and NOT because
it dissolves glass or burns fingers) solution has pH=- Log(0.01) or 2.0.
Your actetic acid example is that of a WEAK acid since has what is termed a
pKa, or acid dissociation constant, and is a bit more complicated. But
comparing a pH 4.0 solution of acetic acid (vinegar) and a weak acid to a
solution of HF, a strong acid, at pH 4.0 to support what they DO is
ridiculous - reactivity of the chemical here is what is important! There is
VERY LITTLE HF in a pH 4 solution (0.0001 moles/L)

    And when I mentioned 'pure water' I was not counting the carbonic acid
concentration from dissolved atmospheric CO2 to make Carbonic acid in situ
on purpose. The reaction formula, by the way is CO2 +H20 <=> H2CO3  (not
what you wrote) and in distilled /deionized water it is boiled out as CO2
(LeChatlier's principle pushes the reaction to the left) And so, for the
sake of simplicity, I was starting with pure d/di 18 Ohm WATER, is that OK
with you? And actually, (YES way Jose!) Carbonate buffer systems are GREAT!!
You are alive right now because of one!! The problem with using water as a
'stop' bath is that it quickly looses it's ability to dilute the residual
developer in the print. And you
say "the best, cheapest and odourless stop can be made from a 100 g/L
organic acid like ascorbic or citric. It works like a charm, and not
exceptionally  toxic should you spill it all over the place. "  Well -
Ascorbate will reduce Ag+ to silver metal (that's how XTOL developer works,
best in a basic medium) because it's a reducing agent. Citric acid is also a
reducing agent. Just use a dilute acetic acid solution as has been used for
years, with or without a methylene blue indicator. By the way, Glacial
Acetic Acid is Pure acetic acid with no water in it. Long ago, it was not
uncommon to find it 'frozen' at cold room temperatures when it was kept pure
- - thus the 'glacial' term.
Can we finish this now and talk about photography. PLEASE?
    EC

Replies: Reply from "Michael Gardner" <mlgardner99@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] pH, activities, etc.)