Subject: [Leica] Good treatment by Indonesian camera dealer
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 20:46:52 -0700 (PDT)

Dear All,

My Leica IIIf RD ST, which I bought earlier this month from a camera
dealer in Jakarta, Indonesia, turned out to have defective fast shutter
speeds (1/200 - 1/1000) and a very stiff aperture selector on the
attached 50/3.5 collapsible Elmar RS lens. I was not unduly
disappointed, having expected that I might have to fork out some extra
dough for a CLA on a camera almost 50 years old.

So, I took it in to the shop and the dealer agreed to get it fixed by a
suitably skilled local technician. The repairs took just over three
weeks and I was able to collect the camera yesterday afternoon. On
examining it, I found:

- - shutter running more smoothly and quietly than before;

- - brake on the first curtain appeared not to be sticking as it had
  been (I suspect this could have been the cause of the fast shutter
  speeds problem);

- - eyepiece dioptre adjustment lever less "sloppy" than it had
  been;

- - lens aperture lever now easy to turn;

- - both viewfinder and rangefinder clearer than I remeber them;

- - base plate opening "key" had very slightly stiffened so it didn't
flop around;

- - last but not least, NO signs of any exterior damage (e.g. to
screw-heads or vulcanite) caused by the repairer.

The dealer waited patiently while I examined the camera and urged me to
try it with a film and to bring it back if there was still a problem.
When I asked how much I should pay for the reapairs/CLA, he said: "No
charge."

To me, that is pretty decent treatment and I would recommend dealing
with him without hesitation to people who find themselves in this neck
of the woods. He is a Leica enthusiast and can order any new Leica gear
from Hong Kong. I have bought from him on numerous occasions and have
always been pleased with his service.

The dealer's name is Koh Abeng and his camera store is:
Bursa Kamera Profesional,
Wisma Benhil L1 C6,
Jalan Jendral Sudirman Kav. 36,
Jakarta 10710
Tel. (021) 5736688

Just wanted to give credit where it's due!

Regards,

=====
Ray