Subject: RE: [Leica] Robert Frank in Ottawa
From: "Chris Schweda" <cschweda@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:24:08 -0500

Actually, I couldn't disagree more. I admire Frank's determination to seek
new visions, new influences.

Tragic? Please.

Disappointing, maybe -- especially to those folks who liked Frank's earlier
work.

What's a "tragedy" is the insistence of the establishment to consistently
pigeonhole artists. Frank's move is a courageous one -- the sort of
visionary slide (or dive) that I wish more artists would have the courage to
take. (Me, I see a sort of wicked, canny humor in Frank's later work,
although many folks will disagree.)

What, we all should succomb to "Hemingway Syndrome?" (Spend the rest of your
life sounding like a parody of your earlier self?)

Chris Schweda
http://www.crabgrassfrontier.com