Subject: Re: [Leica] Flashes for M7
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 07:48:57 +1000

>Yes, the purpose of HSS (High-Speed Sync) is for fill flash. As with
>the new rear-curtain sync, it works only with the Metz 54 MZ3 (_not_
>the Leica SF 20).
>
>Gilbert (who has actually *used* both of the above functions!)
>
>On Friday, June 28, 2002, at 12:09  PM, Alan Weinschel wrote:
>
>>I am a new member of LUG, having converted from C****X (but staying
>>with N***N SLR), and it is with some trepidation that I dare ask a
>>question, risking either scorn or a backhand direction to the archives
>>(I've looked)(this list is TOUGH). My question is whether outdoor
>>fill-in flash can be accomplished with an M7 and if so, whether one is
>>limited to the Leica flash unit or whether others can also be used. Is
>>the reference to "high speed flash" some secret code word for fill-in
>>flash, for which I need the secret handshake?  The M7 manual, and the
>>Metz website are unilluminating. Right now, the only flash I own is the
>>Nikon SB25, which I presume (but don't know) will not work with the M7.
>>Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

Well you can use ordinary flashes, but you are limited to a camera
speed of 1/50 or slower, which means using slow film, and a powerful
flash unit -- or be close to your subject. The other disadvantage, is
that you will be setting your flash manually or via its controlling
functions.

Cheers
- --
Alastair Firkin