Subject: [Leica] Leica M3 vs Fuji 6x9
From: "dante@umich.edu" <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 15:24:53 -0400

Ok... I spent the entire afternoon so far sunning and reading Mortensen's
"The Negative."  Maybe my brain is cooked.

So the hypothetical is: one stays and one goes.  But which?

One is an M3 SS PV ST DOF used with 50/1.4 (Sonnar-style) and 105/2.5 (also
Sonnar) Nikkor lenses.  One is a Fuji 6x9 rangefinder with 100/3.5 (Tessar)
and 180/5.6 (Sonnar, cf distance 8 feet) interchangeable lenses.

These are the parameters:
- -- I have a Hexar RF and a Fuji GA645, so there would not be a huge
capability loss either way
- -- The Fuji weighs 5 pounds with a lens.  I call it the "Ken" camera because
to me it is oversized just like a camera Barbie would have.
- -- With a 15x loupe, I don't see much difference in what is resolved on film
- -- I normally use TMX in 35mm and Tri-X in medium format.
- -- Each would sell for about the same amount if I booted it (well, Leica
body vs. 6x9 outfit).

Knowing that this is a place where people are all over the place on issues
like this, what are your thoughts?

Regards
Dante Stella
http://www.dantestella.com